Monday, October 22, 2007

True Fan vs. Bandwagon Fans

So the World Series is all set with the Red Sox beating Cleveland in the ALCS. Living in New England that is all you hear about. Which is fine, I totally understand. But there is one thing that really bugs me is all the bandwagon fans. This is a huge problem with the Red Sox and Patriots. There seems to be a whole group of “fans” who know very little about either team before 2000. Of course this is not just a phenomena for New England, it happens every time is good and has a few years of winning. These fans make the real fans look bad. I know people who have always been a fan of both teams through thick and thin, and deserve to be part of success both teams have had, but there are to many of these bandwagoners to give them there due credit for always being there. People like my friend Todd I have know for over 25 years. He has been a huge fan of the Sox and Pats since I have known him, to me he is a true fan. I was having a conversation with him tonight about the 86 series and weather in game 6 should the wild pitch been scored that or a pass ball for Rich Gedman, to this day I say pass ball on Gedman and not a wild pitch for the Steamer, that is Bob Stanley to all the Johnny come lately. Of course most of these people wearing their pink hats have no idea what that debate is about. The same can be said for the Pats and who should have started Eason or Grogan? A true fan will know what that is about.
A true fan also know not to talk smack till its over. A true fan gets more excitement out of their team winning then another team losing, they don’t chant Yankees suck when the Sox are playing Tampa, and they don’t gloat if the Colts lose. A true fan respects a good team even if its not their team, they will say if their teams losses that the better team won. A true fan will be there when Rod Rust is coaching the Pats to a 1-15 record, and come back the next year. A true fan will be there when Butch Hobson is showing to be an awful major league manager. To those fans I say enjoy the ride, as you know it does not last forever. But that true fan will be there when their team has to go through the rebuilding that every great team eventually has to go through.
I can honestly say for some sick reason I have been a fan of the same teams for over 20 years, and I am positive if you ask me 20 years from now will be a fan of those teams. I have been a Blue Jays fan since the early 1980’s when they were awful, but stuck with them and got to see them win 2 World Series, and hopefully more. I have been a Steelers fan as long as I can remember and got to see them win a Super Bowl a few years ago, could have been 2 if it weren’t for Neil O’Donnell. I have for some god forsaken reason always been a Bruins fan, and have to believe they will win a Stanley Cup sometime in my life, and I also guarantee I will be at least one game. Have seen them play for the cup twice, but lose to 2 great Oilers teams. I have been a Penn State fan for College Football since as long as I can remember, have seen them in a national championship in 87, and should have won one in 94, got to love polls, and will always love Papa Joe. And of course if you have read anything I have written know I am a huge UNH fan in college hockey. Have seen them in 2 National Championship games, one in live in person. I truly believe they will win one in my life, and hopefully it will be soon. Even if none of my teams win I will root for them, because that is what a real fan does.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home