Thursday, March 15, 2007

UNH-UMass preview Semi-Finals!

So Friday is the Hockey East semi-finals. Have in the first game UNH-UMass and followed by BC-BU in the 2nd game. Of course I am more interested in the UNH-UMass game. The Cats got to decide which game they play, one of the perks of winning the regular season title. UNH did get back on track in the quarterfinals with 2 shut wins over Providence. UMass is coming off 2 straight weekend of home games against Maine, 4 straight wins. So how is this game going to go? Well after my predication of a tight series with Providence not sure how well I can be trusted, but I will take a shot at it. Well UMass has a very stingy defense that will play a trap style and try to hold the Cats up in the neutral zone. UNH has had some luck with breaking the trap this year, Vermont plays the same type and UNH was 3-0 against them this year. Of course Mass has had success against UNH this year to, going 2-1 against the Cats. The first victory for the Minutemen was back in Oct and the other victory was in Amherst, the only shut out against UNH this year. In that game McFlicker and Ciocoo were both out for that game and Foster was in net for the Cats. UNH did win the middle game of the series at the Whitt, 5-1. UNH does have a better record on NHL size rinks. Both UNH and UMass play on larger ice surface. Though the smaller ice surface might help Mass slow down UNH’s offense in the neutral zone. I think the key for UNH, like is has been most of the year is to score the first goal. I think this will help them control the tempo of the game and open more offense for them. Of course that is easier said then done. Mass has a very tough goalie in Quick. He is one of the top goalies in the country. Of course UNH has one of the tops in Regan to, who I believe has been very much under appreciated nationally this year. So defensively I think UNH can match Mass defense, and goaltending. The advantage of offense goes to Unh that is very deep and have 3 line that can score. I do believe UNH needs to take advantage of any power play chances they get, and of course stay out of the box themselves. I think UNH has the capability to use their high power offense and take pretty low scoring game, I don’t see more then 5 goals combined in the game. My gut is telling me McFlicker will step up and have a big game. I think UNH will be extremely focused and will remember that 3-0 that Mass put on them in their last game. I also think they will be reminded of last year 9-2 loss in the Semi’s to BU.
In the second game, will make this short and sweet see BC taking that game, BU is not playing well and BC is, and has a lot more offense then BU. Of course weather depending if I stay for that game. Suppose to be snowing all night. At least I will be there for the UNH game, and here hoping for a return trip back down to Boston on Saturday night.
GO CATS!!!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home