Sunday, March 18, 2007

Rock and Roll Hall of Fame- 2007

I am sitting here watching the Rock and Hall of Fame inductions for 2007. Only going to comment on the 2 artist I am really familiar with, as I grew up with both of them. Van Halen and R.E.M
First have to talk about Van Halen. It is a dam shame they all weren’t there to get there due honor. I know there has been a ton of infighting between all the member of the bands. Also Eddie Van Halen is in rehab, here is wishing him the best of luck with that and hope he gets himself all right. Still they only ones there were Michael Anthony and Sammy Hager. Would have liked to seen Alex Van Halen and David Lee Roth there to. To me the original line up with Roth will always be Van Halen to me, sorry Kristi. Not saying I don’t love the line up with Sammy in it, have seen Sammy 5 times and is one hell of performer. But I started to listen to Van Halen with the DLR as the front man, and they truly were rock and roll to me. They put out some amazing records with 1984, Van Halen, Van Halen 2, and Women and Children First. How can anyone not listen to Running with the Devil and say that one of one the most kick ass songs ever!! I know a lot of people criticize Eddie for being a prick, which he is. But there is no doubt the man is a true guitar genius. He is one of the greatest rock guitarist of all time, there is no doubt in my mind about that. Alex is also one hell of a drummer. Who can not love the incredible bass rift of Michael Anthony, his rift are what makes Running with the Devil such a great song. They have had 2 totally different front man, and 2 great front man. DRL was the showman and Sammy was the laid back type. I do wish I got the chance to see VH with DLR in their heyday. Hopefully someday they can all get along, and get be able to get their honor together. I would have loved to seen them all perform at the inductions. A couple of songs with DLR and a couple with Sammy. But sadly that didn’t happen. Sammy and Michael did perform together, they did a great job, but it wasn’t the same. Velvet Revolver inducted them and performed a couple of their songs. I thought this would be really good. But I was very wrong. I was sad on how bad they were.
Have to say I was never a huge REM fan, do enjoy their music, but never a die hard fan. But looking back at their music, it is easy to see why they are in the Hall of Fame. They have but together one great body of work. They have been very influential on many artist over the last 25 years. Has it been 25 years since Radio Free Europe came out, man do I feel old! Their perform ace was really great do, also had Eddie Veder perform with them, have to say that was a great choice. He sounded like he had always been part of the band.
Have to congratulate all the inductees, all very well deserving.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home