Sunday, April 08, 2007

Q’s Easter Sunday

Well my Easter was nothing exciting. Went down and did some laundry at my fathers. Had to feed his cats while he is on vacation. So while I was down there I watched the replay of the NCAA hockey championship game on ESPNU. I didn’t get hear the commentary when it was on live. Was out at a bar and they had the Red Sox game on all the big TV’s. Also watched the Masters today. So figure give some random thoughts on both.
First the NCAA Hockey Championship
Could Barry Melrose made it any clearer he wanted BC to win. Gary Thorne as usual was very good, but Melrose came off as very bias towards BC, and especially Brian Boyle. Had to laugh with a little over a minute left Melrose said that MSU was playing to get into overtime, think he might have been wrong about that.
Speaking of Boyle, how does he make the all tourney team as a defenseman when it was poor play that lead to the tying goal, and he was out of position for the game winner. He did have a great 2 on 1 while shorthanded, that would be great for a forward but not for a defenseman who should be back when shorthanded. Speaking with one of my friends during the game and we both agree we wont be that great as a pro when the play will be faster and will have guys almost the same size
In my opinion Jeff Lerg should have been named Most Outstanding Player. With all due respect to Justin Abdelkader but it was Lerg who put this team on his back all tourney long. He only allowed 5 goals in 4 games against four team that were all ranked higher then MSU. He went up against 4 of the top goalies in the country (John Curry, Dave Brown, Ben Bishop, and Corey Schneider) he out played all of them. He might have been the smallest goalie in tourney, but he has the biggest heart. He also fights a bad case of asthma and needs treatment before each game.
I counted four times that BC ran into Lerg, all cheap shots in my opinion. But the little man got up every time. I don’t know how you cant root for him.
I know he is a UNH guy and I should like him, but Bob Norton does nothing for me. I don’t think he is that good with his commentary. To me he really adds nothing. Think ESPN should get Doug Woog who does the Minnesota games, he is really good, or Eric Freide, I really like him no matter what he is doing he is good at it/

My thoughts on the Masters
Have to congratulate Zach Johnson for his first major victory. Once he got the lead he never gave it up. He showed great poise down the stretch and made some clutch shots to hold onto the lead.
Johnson seems like a genuine person. Most times when you see someone win you get the canned speech. But I just watched his ceremony of receiving the green jacket, you can tell this meant so much to him.
This had to be one of the weirdest rounds of golf I have seen at a Masters. No one wanted to hold onto the lead until Johnson got it late in the day. Was the highest score (+1) to win in over 50 years. The winds reminded me of the British Open.
The shot Tiger Woods hot from behind the tree was incredible, he broke his club on the tree, but he put in the fairway. Is there any shot he cant hit?
Rory Sabatini has one incredible putt that might have out done Tigers shot. I thought it has no shot, but as usual I was wrong.
Jim Nantz is a great commenter. Vern Lungquist has so much passion he brings to the Masters, the both of them make is so much fun to watch the Masters.
Not sure who it was telling Nick Faldo what it takes to win the Masters, but that was to funny to me. Telling a 3 time Masters champion on what it takes to win, I am sure he really needed your advice.
Andy North is great on ESPN, he might be the best golf report on TV.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home