Saturday, April 07, 2007

And then there were two! How wrong could Q be?

Well here we are at the NCAA hockey championship game. The game pegs the red hot Boston College Eagles and the high octane of the Michigan State Spartans. As anyone who might have read my blog about the semi-finals know how wrong I was with my predication, I had Maine and North Dakota in the championship game. So how could I be so wrong?
Well Michigan State showed a lot of heart in their 4-2 victory over Maine. Maine went up very quickly 2-0, the first goal coming only 23 seconds into the first. But Michigan State did not collapse and hung in the game and fought back to tie it up by the end of the second, and showed a lot of poise in the third to get the 2 goals to win the game. Lerg played really big in net, after letting 2 goals on the first 4 shots he faced. Michigan State was also very discipline and only gave the highly effective Maine power play only 2 opportunities. Have to give the coach for Maine, Tim Whitehead, a lot of credit. His mother in law was killed in a crash early Thursday morning hours before the game. Whitehead did not tell the team till after the game. It must have been very extremely difficult for Whitehead to coach this game. My thoughts go out to Whitehead and his family. They might the Cats biggest rival, but have always had respect for Whitehead, he comes off as a classy guy and good coach.
BC pulled out an exciting 6-4 victory this game was back forth, and really exploded in the last 10 minutes of the 3rd. North Dakota tied up the game 3-3 in the third with a hard fought short handed goal. BC would take the 4-3 lead with a power play goal just minutes later. BC would go up by 2 with a empty net goal, that the North Dakota D fell asleep and let the BC player walk right in for the empty netter. North Dakota would get with in 1 with 16 seconds left, but another empty netter sealed it for BC. This game was pretty evenly played with both teams having swings of momentum. BC did play a little harder in the third and showed some grit.
So what can we expect tonight. Well if you read some what most people are saying this should be a BC victory. I would say on paper this should be a BC victory, they are playing the best hockey in the country. They are playing a well balanced game. There offense is playing hard and all 4 lines are contributing, their defense is playing tough and physical an Schneider is playing his best in net. So how can the Spartans pull this out? Well it will start in net. Lerg will have to come up big in net again. He needs to play a solid 60 minutes, and not let up early goals like he did to Maine. MSU doesn't have as many big names as BC, but they have depth to match BC. I rank their top 2 lines against BC as pretty much even. BC would have the advantage in the 3rd and 4th line. On defense all the attention has gone to BC with Brian Boyle making the switch to the blue line. But I would say MSU has a little more depth back there, and there forwards play some good defense to. MSU will have to come out and play the same discipline hockey they played against Maine. They need to limit the number of power plays they give BC. I have seen BC take some dumb penalties in the tourney. MSU will need to take advantage of those chances they are given. MSU will have to play there best game of the year to pull this out, it is possible but the odds are long.
So can I be as wrong as I was in the semi's? Truth be told I hope so. I know I say I see BC winning, but I will be rooting for MSU. There are 59 division 1 hockey teams in the NCAA, and I could see myself rooting for 58 of them, but cant root for BC. BC fans come as the most arrogant fans I have met. They act all high and mighty over every other fan. They act like they win the championship every year, not 2 since 1949. If there team loses in the national championship they fought hard and should be commended. But if another team gets there and losses they chocked. I have also had the lovely experience of sitting near BC fans at the regionals in Manchester and the Hockey east championships in Boston. Was near some kids rooting for BC, I am all for rooting for your team, but the things coming out these kids mouth, well lets say my father would smack me today for saying. Of course there fathers were right there with them laughing and encouraging them. Showed how little class they had. Those are not isolated experience I have had with BC fans over the years, just the two most recent. So makes it so I can root for BC. Which is a shame, I think Jerry York is on the classiest men I have seen behind the coach.. I really do admire him for what he has done behind the bench and his fight against cancer. Was impressed that at UNH last home game of the regular season he had his team out there for the senior recognition and he applauded for every UNH player. But there fans leave a lot to desire. Also sick of hearing just how great there players are from the Boston media, would think there were no other college hockey players in New England. Well here is hoping for a good national championship game, its been a long season. October can not come fast enough for me. So one last note from Q about the game
GO SPARTANS!!!!!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home