Friday, February 09, 2007

NCAA Hockey VS. NHL Hockey
Ok I am going to write about something totally different, hockey. If anyone has read this, they know that I am a hockey fan. I have only written about college hockey, but I do like all types of hockey. I have caught myself watching High School hockey on FSN North, they usually show a game of the week from Minnesota, really fun to watch. Thos boys in Minnesota can play a little then kids in NH. Then again I came from a high school that lost 92 straight games when I was there, but yet I was at almost every game, now that shows just how dedicate, or pathetic, I am. But I want to take this chance to do my little break down of the difference of college and NHL hockey. First I have to admit I am a Bruins fan, so maybe watching them the last couple of year might have turned me off a little.
The atmosphere. Do love the atmosphere of a good college game. The game last Saturday at the Whitt between Maine and UNH was totally nuts. I know not every game is like that. But for the most part it is a great atmosphere, and I would say most of that is due to the students. When Maine and UNH played at the Verizon on Friday it was different, can tell there was less students. It was a good time, but not nearly as loud. Of course not every arena is like that. I have been down to Lowell to see UNH and Maine play down there, and every time there was more Maine and UNH fans there. That to me that is a shame because that is a very nice place to see a game. Plus they have one of the best pep bands I have seen. That is another thing that adds to the atmosphere. A pep band working with the students can really add a lot. I have been up to Maine were they work really well together and play off each other, and get the rest of the fans into the game. Late last season UNH moved the pep band to the student section, which made so much sense to me. I have to say it really has worked well I think. I for one have never been a big UNH pep band fan, but have to say I have been impressed with them this year. They sound better, and have become part of the student section. Even the game at the Verizon they played off the student section that was right there with them. These are things you do not see at a NHL game with the piped in music and the guys in suites sitting down by the ice. The college fans are more of the blue collar fans who work all day and love to go to a hockey game on a Friday and Saturday night to relax and enjoy the game. They are not there to impress a client.
Tickets prices. There is no question the advantage goes to college hockey. The most I have paid for a ticket is $35, with all the lovely handling cost. Of course at NHL game to get down low it is about $80. I for one usually get the general admission tickets at UNH, and those cost me only $19 per ticket, though use be $12 a couple of years ago. I can drive down to Lowell and pay $14 for a ticket and sit anywhere, which is a great deal. I can go to Merrimack and pay $15 for a ticket to. So for pure value you can't beat college hockey.
The players. Of course the NHL does have the better players. I don't think anyone would argue with that. They get the best players from all around the world. They are bigger, faster and strong. They have 4 lines that have the best players on the. College teams will usually have a line of two of players that will go on to the NHL. The end of some teams line ups are not very good. Put to me you know those guys are playing for something. The top line guys are playing to get to that next level, to impress an NHL scout somewhere. The guys in the middle are trying to impress made someone in the minors, the AHL or ECHL, to get a chance at that level, and then maybe the NHL. Then there are some guys who probably know that this is there last shot at some real hockey. They are out busting there butts because they truly love to play. I have to admit I do love watching the guys on the 4th line, can tell they are out playing hard when they get the chance. My favorite player for UNH is Shawn Vinz. He is a senior who has been on the 4th line his whole career. He has played almost every game this year, it was not this way his first 3 years. When he got his first career goal this year I do not think I had ever been happier for a player to score. My only regret is that I was not there person and saw it on TV. Thought did get to see him score a short handed goal the next game. He truly EARNED those goals.
The rules. I for one was so happy when the NHL adopted the no red line rule. I have really enjoyed that in college hockey game. I think it opens up the offense more. I will admit I think fighting in hockey is fine. Not sure if totally agree with the NCAA's no fighting rule. I would like to see that changed a little. Maybe get kicked out of that game, but not suspended for the next game. I am highly in favor the NCAA rule of playing with a full cage. I think that is a very safe rule. Not only protects from high sticking but from pucks. Watching the Bruins-Buffalo game a few weeks ago saw Andrew Albert’s get hit in the head with a puck, and opened up a good cut. If that was the NCAA would have not hurt him as much. Most of these players grow up with a full cage, and are use to it. I hear that the cage makes players think they can high stick with out any consequences. I do not see that. I do not see many high stick in college. If they are they are usually called. Most refs are on top of that. The Shot Out for me is a tricky one. I totally understand why the NHL needs it, and I do enjoy watching them. But I am not sold if they should be part of college hockey. First the season is so much short that every point is extremely important. Take Hockey East only have 27 conference games to decide the playoffs, compared to 82 in the NHL. So points mean so much, and losing a point on a shot out can mean so much more then in the NHL. So I would need to be really convinced to change that. Also the 4 on 4 in OT in the NHL. Once again I see were it is needed to open up the NHL game to draw people in. But I am not a big fan of it. Why change the way the game is played for OT? In baseball do you suggest taking out the shortstop if they go extra innings? Of course not, and if you did people would laugh at you. So why in hockey to you change the structure that the whole game has been played under? If 4 on 4 opens up more why not play the whole game that way? I actually do see that happening in the next 25 years, which might not be a bad thing. Would open the game up more.
Championships. Let it be known I think the Stanley Cup is top trophy in all sports, ok maybe the World Cup in soccer but that is only once every 4 years so I put in the same category as the Olympics. I have had my picture taken with the Stanley Cup and could feel the history with it, and still gives me goose bumps to think of it. There is nothing better then a overtime Stanley Cup game. Hopefully one day I will get to see the Bruins raise that cup. The biggest difference in the 2 is that the NHL is best of 7 while the NCAA is a single elimination tourney. A best of 7 does give you a true feeling of who the better team is. But the single elimination is very exciting and can give you a better chance of huge upsets. I am sure if Holy Cross and Minnesota played best of 7 last year Minnesota would have won. But Holy Cross was able to pull the major upset in one game, same can be said from Niagara beat UNH in 2000. I have been 2 NCAA championship games, and both were extremely exciting. Seeing a 1-0 game with a minute to play and the team down have a 6 on 3 advantage, now that is exciting. So I guess both have there advantages.
Rivalries. To me college has this one hands down. When I was a kid, man don't I sound old now, the NHL use to have some really good rivalries. The Bruins-Canadian one comes to mind, use to be some major hatred there. There was also Canadian-Maple Leafs, Philly-Rangers, Edmonton-Calgary. To me the only one I really still enjoy is Edmonton-Calgary, this is probably the most underrated rivalry in sports, I would put it right up there with Red Sox-Yankees. But these have been watered down with the 8 games they play with each other now, that is way to many. Its like baseball with there 19 games. To me you have to love such rivalries as UNH-Maine, BU-BC, Michigan-Michigan Sate, Cornell-ST. Lawrence. It seems like every school has there major rival. They make for exciting games. Plus there are usually only 3 games between them that makes it extra exciting. I will sit down and watch these game, no matter who is playing. The crown is extra loud for these games, the hitting is extra hard and the skating is a little extra faster. I think a lot of this is only playing 1 or 2 games a week. It is easier to get up for a couple for only a couple games a week, instead of every other night. Plus it helps the fans get pumped up for the games. I think another big factor is that most schools have quite a few local kids on the team that have grown up with these rivalries, and have some what of a hatred towards another team.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home