Saturday, July 07, 2007

And the point of this is?

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/pages/live/femail/article.html?in_article_id=466775&in_page_id=1879
As I am sure many people are aware that today is the Live Earth concert. I have one question, what is the purpose of this? To me is seems counter productive to the cause they are trying to promote. Lets have artist fly around the world, lets have over a million people gather and make more trash, lets use all this electricity to help promote the effects of Global Warming? To me this makes no sense. At this point I am sure there are very few people who are not aware of global warming. To me this concert seems to be a self promoting venue for Al Gore. I am in favor of people doing what they can to help the environment, but thing this is the wrong venue for it. If you wanted to have a venue to raise awareness a simple in studio concert would have worked. Something like the telecast after 9/11 with no big audience, no big stadiums, no flying around the world. With the technology we have today this could have been done so easily. This is the third of the so called “Live” concert. The first being Live Aid, which was a huge success raising huge money for Africa. The second a couple of years ago wash the Live8 concert, which wasn’t that great of a success, the point of the concert was to raise awareness of third world debt during the G8 summit. The only thing to come out of that was a performance of a reunited Pink Floyd. Now comes Live Earth, which I see in a year or two being remembered as a concert not a turning point in the Global Warming campaign. It will also be remembered as a very hypocritical thing. Not only for the thing I mentions earlier but for such acts as Snoop Dog who are performing who go out and endorse car companies like Chrysler and not the Hybrids. I have to say as I am writing this I am watching some of the broadcast on Bravo, and have to say I am not impressed at it all. They are jumping from performance to performance. There is no promoting of the cause. I will also admit the line up does nothing for me, only one I want to see is Mettalica. The other Live concerts had bands that were reunited for the concert that drew people in. Live 8 had Pink Floyd, and Live Aid had Led Zeppelin.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home